Editing, Editing, and More Editing


A question that I've heard a bit since I started this blog is: how do you edit your photos? Since this is photography on a college student's budget, I don't have an arm and a leg to spend on the whole Adobe Creative Suite. However, there are multiple free apps that I use to do quick phone edits with every day and are really easy to use.

1. Snapseed

Snapseed is my No. 1 choice when it comes to free iPhone editing apps. It has a wide variety of tools for you to use such as cropping, straightening, rotating, frames and text. It also allows you to adjust the exposure, color, and sharpening of the photo almost as good as if you were to do it in Photoshop. 

This is really the app you need if you want to edit photos quick on your phone. 


2. VSCO

I'll be completely honest, this app is great for image filters. And I'm not talking about the gross ones that you see on Snapchat or on Instagram. VSCO's filters try and emulate the vintage camera styles so that your photos come out looking like they were taken in an old movie. I mainly use this app if I want a nice B&W filter or sometimes even to bring out the color more in my photos. I wouldn't necessarily use it for things like sharpening and changing exposure, but those tools are included in the app as well. 


3. TouchRetouch 

I will start off by saying this app is the only not free one on this list. It costs only $1.99 on the App Store, but everybody you take portraits of will love you for having it. If your subject has any unwanted blemishes or a part of their hair is out of place, this app can fix it. All you have to do is select what you don't want in the picture and voila, it's gone. I will warn you that it takes a couple tries to get it right, but it's really easy once you get the hang of it. I find having this app always helps me when I really just need to get something distracting out of my photo. 


Most of these apps have tutorials within them that will help you navigate around so you know exactly what tool you are using and what it will do to your photo. If you don't know, don't worry because it's extremely easy to start over as well. 

Also, if those apps aren't working out for you, there are tons of others to choose from on the App Store! Check them all out and find the one that you like the best to edit your photos with. 

Comments