Using Social Media to your Advantage


It's hard for me to go out and shoot photos and not share them on all social media platforms. It's just something that I have to do. I want to let people know what I am doing and I also want to get my work out there.

Taking the time to set up social media platforms for your work is extremely important. This is because it's almost like a portfolio for all your work that potential employers can access and look at. Since most social media profiles are free to make, it seems strange to not make one and just let people know what you are currently working on.

A lot of photographers use Instagram to showcase their work because it is such a visual platform. I follow at least 30+ photographers on Instagram and love seeing their work come up on my feed. It not only allows me to show support for others in the industry, but also to get ideas for any shoots that I might do in the future.

I think the first thing any upcoming photographer should do is make an Instagram and post their work frequently on it. Be sure to take the time to come up with good captions and hashtag, hashtag, hashtag so that you can get noticed on other photographers feeds. Some great photographers check out the #photography feed just to see what comes up on there. I've gotten photography accounts to follow me just by putting a few relevant hashtags on my posts.

The other social medi platform I've seen photographers use is Snapchat and it's not to showcase their photos, but to show some behind the scenes action during their shoots. Not as many photographers use this platform because it's really a more personal one, but the ones I do follow make the most of it. I really love seeing the fun things they come up with or how they got that really interesting shot.

The important thing is that you get your hard work out there. It doesn't matter if you use Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or Snapchat, just get your work out there for people to enjoy and potential employers to see.

Comments